Young Achiever Award (YAA) is one of the key programs for CIE/USA-DFW Chapter. YAA is designed to encourage the younger generation of CIE members to achieve high academic performance, to develop leadership skills, to develop strong interest in engineering, and to participate in extracurricular and community volunteer activities to enable them to achieve the greatest possible impact in their communities. These well-rounded skills will help them to become better leaders in this very competitive global market place.
CIE was honored to have professionals from the industries to select our YAA winners. Twenty three entries were received and, out of those, eighteen applicants were selected to be the recipients of the award. The winners all are truly outstanding based on their extraordinary achievements in academic performance, demonstration of exemplary leadership and voluntary involvement in community activities.
Impressive accolades of the 2012 winners include:
– Four recipients have a class ranking of top 3 in their respective schools.
– Multiple recipients with perfect SAT scores various subject tests
– 1st place in Texas Junior Academy of Sciences (TJAS)
– 1st place in MAA Calculus Bowl
– 1st place in digital video production in Future Business Leaders of America Area 6 Conference
– 1st place in Martin Luther King Celebration Art Contest
– Perfect scorer in the American Computer Science League Contest.
– Multiple Gold Medals on Music Theory Tests in Texas Music Teachers Association
– Gold Medal on National Spanish Exam
– 2nd place in International Sustainable World Project Olympiad Science Fair
– 2nd place in Dell International Social Innovation Business Contest
– Texas Visual Arts Scholastic Event State Finalist
– Siemens Competition National Finalist
– VEX Robotics World Championship Semifinalist
– Business Professionals of America Web Site Design Competition National Finalist
– USA Biology Olympiad Silver Medalist
– USA Junior Math Olympiad Honorable Mentionalist (the only from Texas in 2012)
– Researcher at UNT Computer Science/Engineering Department in Computation Epidemiology
– Research Assistant at UT Dallas in Nano Technology
The chairperson of this award is Ms. Sylvia Tong from AT&T. The major sponsors of the CIE 2012 YAA are Texas Instruments, AT&T, Oncor and Diodes. YAA trophies and scholarship will be presented to recipients during the evening banquet of the CIE Annual Convention on Saturday, August 25th at the Renaissance Hotel in Richardson, Texas.